The Civil War Round Table of Toronto is a gathering of people interested in the American Civil War. Our meetings are cordial occasions on which members and others make presentations and participate in discussions on all aspects of the Civil War.
Membership is open to all Civil War buffs. Your interest, not your knowledge, is the key criterion for membership.
Members participate in presentations and discussions, but making a presentation is entirely voluntary. Our goal is to gather people of similar interests for lively and thought-provoking occasions.
We are looking for more presentations . . . so would you like to give one? Presentations can be up to an hour in length. We also hold “campfires” when several members give very short presentations of 10-15 minutes – typically trip reports or book reviews. So please give it some thought and see if you would like to make a presentation sometime during 2020.
PLEASE NOTE: THE MEETING SCHEDULED FOR 18th MARCH HAS BEEN CANCELLED.
Our next events:
· On Wednesday, May 6, Professor Rodney Steward, Associate Professor of History at USC Salkehatchie in South Carolina will brief us on Confederate Sequestration (“An Illegal Violence”) – the corruption and coercion experienced by ordinary folk on the home front at the hands of unscrupulous Confederate judges and District Court officers.
· On Wednesday, September 23, noted Civil War mapmaker and CWRT member Kieran McAuliffe will present his new map of Civil War Washington.
· In October (date TBD), author Ronald Blair from Kentucky will present his book “Wild Wolf: The Great Civil War Rivalry”.
· Bruce Kenchington on the Battle of Vicksburg 1863.
· John Rosolak in defence of General McClellan.
· 2021 – Shauna Devine of Western on medicine.
All meetings begin at 7:30pm.
Thanks to all our members and guests for your support of the Civil War Round Table in our 10th year.
Our forthcoming year runs from September 2017 through June 2018. New presentations and dates will be announced once finalized.
Would you like to make a presentation?
We always welcome presentations. Besides full-length presentations of 45 to 60 minutes, we should plan a campfire consisting of several shorter presentations – 5 minutes or more. If you’ve visited a Civil War site or read a good civil war book, that would be a perfect subject for a campfire presentation. Just chat with John Rosolak (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Jim Lutz (email@example.com) if you’re thinking of a subject you would like to talk about.
All meetings begin at 7:30pm at the Royal Canadian Military Institute, 426 University Avenue on the west side, just south of Dundas Street.
The membership fee for the 2017-2018 season remains $75. You may pay in cash or by cheque payable to “Doug Hope”. Guests are always welcome at any meeting without charge.
More information is available at http://www.civilwarpodcast.com/cwrt-toronto/
Our home is the Royal Canadian Military Institute. (You need not be an RCMI member to belong to CWRT Toronto.)
Our meetings are held at the new Royal Canadian Military Institute, 426 University Avenue on the west side, just south of Dundas Street.
Dress: Business Casual for men and women. No jeans, khakis, or apparel with slogans or commercial messages.
Subway: St. Patrick
Parking: There is on-street parking on University Avenue after 6:30, parking on the streets just west of University, and a parking lot behind the RCMI just off St. Patrick Street. City “Green P” lots within 4 blocks.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org